Monday, October 17, 2011

The disparity between reality and dreams

Paulo, Allan, and I decided that we will have a productive hang-out because we have deadlines to meet this week. Allan brought up about dreams, and all of a sudden I can’t do my work even though it was easy. All I can think of is what I wanted to do ever since I was a kid. At 24, I feel like I am trapped in a career that is very promising, except my heart does not belong to it. Last night ended with the three of us thinking what we really want to do, and who we want to become. I wanted to make a change. I am sure of that.

Let me share you a story that could be boring or interesting. You tell me.

One day, this will not stop us from trying to see it from their end. Photo courtesy of http://www.graceirondoor.com/wrought_iron_driveway_gates.asp

When I was a kid, I lived in a mansion-ish type of house near the beach. My grandmother was one of the richest people in the area. We had to live there because of the businesses she and my grandfather owned. I was the eldest grandchild, thus becoming the favourite of my grandparents. I spent my younger years with them and I grew up getting everything I wanted. They enrolled me in a private school when I was in kindergarten where every child had a yaya with them. I also had one.

Once school is done, I will be home around 4pm.Whenever my grandma decides to have a walk in the beach in the afternoon, she’ll bring me with her; there I will have a chance to play with the other kids. Although my grandparents were well-off, they were fine with me being friends with them. At a young age, I knew that my life was better and more comfortable than theirs. The difference between my house and their house says a lot.

I don’t get to see the children of the fishermen every day. Our big gate usually separates us from hanging out, we will talk while we’re on the different side of the gates and to thank them for dropping by, I will slip chocolates under the gate. Back then, I knew that there was a big difference. I didn’t know what disparity meant when I was 6, but I knew what I felt was there was one. I knew back then that I wanted to lessen that disparity. The gate served as a metaphor.

Now that I am 24, I work in Business Development. I report directly to the executives (i.e SVP’s and VP’s), sounds pretty awesome if you ask other people. I do not feel pathetic or sad career wise. Business Development is a compromise that I will not regret. Although I know that deep down, I would rather do something else. My heart belongs to development, not of business but of the society.

It sounds like a motivational speech if I give stories about how others have less but make the most out of it. I’ve known people who passed the UPCAT but can’t afford to go to UP because their family lives on a Php280 budget a day.

Some people will tell me that I am lucky and I should feel blessed, I shouldn’t be asking for more. I do feel lucky and blessed, that is why I want to be in an organization that focuses on the development of this country. I dream that one day, there will be no gate that would separate us. It’s just that right now, I am in a reality that my decisions are based on practicality.

It’s never too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment